This recipe for pumpkin bread is made with warm spices and sweet pumpkins. It makes the best pumpkin bread that is always super moist.
Pumpkin bread is a great recipe to have on hand and it’s the perfect quick bread recipe to give to your friends for the holidays.
Pumpkin Bread brings back so many memories and it’s absolutely my favorite quick bread to make! A good friend of the family always brought us a loaf of pumpkin bread at the start of fall. This pumpkin bread is super moist and delicious. It’s just like the one I remember growing up.
This bread is perfectly sweet and the spices are just right! I like to use pumpkin pie spice because it just makes it easier, but you can use your own blend of spices too. The usual pumpkin pie spices are cinnamon, allspice, ginger and a hint of nutmeg.
Another ingredient that I think should be in every pumpkin bread is REAL pumpkin. Some of the store bought mixes do not have pumpkin. Why is it even called pumpkin bread? The best pumpkin breads always have real pumpkin in them. Pumpkin puree gives the bread an amazing taste and texture that can’t be beat.
This pumpkin bread is the perfect recipe to make in the fall.
I love that when it bakes it fills the air with the scent of warm spices and sweet pumpkins. It’s my go-to recipe when I want a delicious fall treat!
Tips for making the perfect pumpkin bread.
- Use canned pumpkin puree or homemade pumpkin puree. I like using the canned pumpkin because it’s easier. If you make the pumpkin puree make sure to make it thick or add less water to your batter. Also, be sure to only use pie pumpkins or the squash that’s used for pumpkin pies. The large pumpkins we associate with pumpkins will not taste great in this recipe. For canned pumpkin I like Libby’s. Make sure it’s the puree only and not the can that has sugar and other pie ingredients.
- Suggestions for Pumpkin Pie Spice. I’ve only used McCormick and it tends to be mild in flavor so I end up using a bit more than I call for in the recipe. Add more or less for your own taste. I know not everyone has access to pumpkin pie spice and so you’ll want to make a homemade version using
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 ground ginger
*It’s important to note that depending on how old your spices are determines how well spiced the final recipe is. Very fresh spices may be stronger and less fresh will be weaker. Take a little taste test of the finished batter (disclaimer: you do run risk of food poisoning doing this) and see how you like the spices. If you like the taste then you are finished. If not, then go ahead and add 1/2 to 1 tsp. more.
- FAQ on Pumpkin Spice extract. I have never tried the extract and so I am not sure how this would work with this pumpkin bread. If you want to try it go ahead, but I find that the extract is lacking in flavor for baked goods. It might make a nice compliment to the other spices, though.
Pumpkin bread add ins and serving suggestions.
- Add ins for pumpkin bread: There are many add ins you can add to pumpkin bread! Try nuts like walnuts and pecans. Chocolate chips or white chocolate chips would also be delicious. I think that pumpkin seeds (without the shell) sprinkled on top of the bread would taste great. Also, a tsp. or so of orange zest would go a long way to change up the flavor a little too.
- Save a loaf for later or make a half batch. Recipe makes 2 8×4 loaves. Make this pumpkin bread all at once (if you have 2 loaf pans) or make a half batch if you just need one loaf. The reason I wrote the recipe for 2 loaves is so the full can of pumpkin puree could be used. I like to make both loaves at once and freeze the other one for later. I also like making these in mini loaf pans and share them with friends. These mini loafs are always popular at bake sells too! Alternatively, make these into muffins or mini muffins with liners in the muffin pan or greasing a muffin pan.
BEST Pumpkin Bread · Super Moist & Delicious
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can solid-pack pumpkin 15 ounces
- 1 cup Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-4 tsp. Pumpkin Spice seasoning or substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/2 ginger
- 1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a medium bowl mix sugar, pumpkin, oil, eggs and water. Combine remaining ingredients; gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture 1 cup at a time until it is mixed well. Do not stir too much.
- Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. The batter should fill the pan a little bit over 1/2 full. Bake 75-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pumpkin bread 10 minutes before removing from pans onto a wire rack. Makes 2 loaves. Bread is best when it completely cools and is wrapped in foil or plastic wrap.
Monday 14th of March 2022
I had a stroke I have to watch the saturated fats I'm looking for a recipe that gives the calories your pumpkin bread looks delicious I could eat that right out of oven with some unsalted butter! Yum
Friday 4th of February 2022
Where do I start… let me just say I’ve always baked… for years and have always been pretty good at it UNTIL I moved to a very dry climate and 8000’ above sea level . Who knew baking and some simple cooking could be challenging but it has been THEN I came across this recipe AND omg it was the most moist bread EVER.. I did substitute the vegetable oil with olive oil (that’s all we use) and I did cut the recipe in half because I don’t have a loaf pan any longer (tiny livin).. I added a bit more oil by accident (oops moment) so I just added a bit more flour and pumpkin.. it really was amazing.. thank you for a great recipe and giving this girl her baking confidence back.. any pointers for high attitude baking is welcome
Saturday 12th of February 2022
So glad it worked out for you! I don't have experience with high altitude. Sorry!
Sunday 24th of January 2021
Can I substitute Monkfruit for the sugar???
Sunday 24th of January 2021
I'm sorry. I do not know how that would turn out.
Saturday 24th of October 2020
I’m confused. Do you bake both loaves at the same time for 80 min? Or just 1 at a time?
Tuesday 10th of November 2020
Both loaves can be baked at one time as long as you have 2 loaf pans.
Wednesday 30th of September 2020
Delicious recipe! I halved the recipe so I made 1 loaf and it took 80 min. in oven. I also added semi-sweet chocolate chips. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe! God bless you!