Sometimes you just need a break! We are in the middle of moving once again, but we decided we would make time for us by having a fun Monsters U viewing Party!!! My girls just love the movie Monsters University and since it came out on DVD recently we just had to get it! Who doesn’t love Mike and Sully from the Original Monsters Inc.? This movie is all about how Mike and Sully met at college!
We found the Monsters University DVD/ BlueRay Combo at Walmart. It even came with an Infinity Mike Figure!!! We also found some cute toys while we were shopping. We just loved the stuffed Mike and Sully… they even quote parts of the movie!
We kept the decorations simple. Just streamers, balloons and a colored table cloth! We decorated the green balloons to look like Mike Wazowski’s face! We drew out the eye and mouth on paper then cut it out and taped it onto the balloon! Next came the snacks! All of these snacks can be made with simple ingredients and the kids can help too!
Sully's Monster Face Cookies
- 3 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups chow mein noodles
- For decorations:
- White chocolate melting chips or candy melts melted and colored aqua blue
- purple taffy that has been formed into "horns" grape laffy taffy works great
- small candy eyes found mine at Walmart in the Wilton cake decorating section
- decorators icing colored black and small round tip for decorating
- Combine marshmallows and butter in a large pot and cook on medium heat until marshmallows and butter are melted and combined together. Turn off heat and immediately add chow mein noodles. Once all chow mein noodles are mixed in take out portions by the spoonful (cookie sized) and place them each separately on a buttered cookie sheet. Mixture will be sticky so you may need to butter your spoon every so often. Once you have all your cookies on the sheet let them cool off and harden a little until the next step.
- Keep your cookies on the cookie sheet and spoon on the melted aqua colored white chocolate on top of each cookie... spread out the chocolate so that it covers the whole surface of each cookie. While the chocolate is still melted on the cookies add the candy eyes and the taffy horns. Place the cookies in the refrigerator to let the chocolate harden. Once it hardens pipe out a black mouth and teeth for the mouth using a very small decorators tip and the black icing in a piping bag.
Mike Wazowski's Cheesy Crackers
- Cream Cheese
- bright green food coloring
- sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 small can whole black olives pitted
- round crackers like Ritz
- Combine Cream Cheese with food coloring and spread onto the crackers. Cut out mozzarella cheese into almond shaped eyeballs. Slice olives right at the end for the center of the eye and place on top of the cheese eyeball. Slice the olives near the middle for the mouth and cut each slice into a half circle for the mouth. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Monsters U Popcorn Mix
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 12 oz . of white chocolate melts- half melted and colored bright green the other half melted and colored aqua blue
- 1 cup Chocolate candies in blue purple and green. I used the new m&m mixed colors and took out the red and pink.
- 1 package small candy eyes mine were made by Wilton
- 2 cups Great Value Pretzel balls
- place popped popcorn on a baking sheet. Take melted and colored white chocolate and drizzle all over the popcorn until all popcorn has a little on it. Sprinkle on the candy eyes. Place in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes to let the popcorn harden. Break up the popcorn and place in a bowl with the rest of ingredients. Mix it all together and serve.
Monsters U Layered Punch!
- Gatorade G2 in blue
- Koolaid in Grape mixed with 1/2 cups of sugar and 2 quarts of water
- Koolaid in Lemon Lime Flavor mixed with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 1 quart water or any green
- Ice preferably crushed ice
- clear cups
- Place ice in each cup. Fill the bottom first with the Lemon Lime Koolaid mix, then on top of that the grape Koolaid mix and then add the Gatorade until the drink reaches the top. Ice is a key ingredient to make it layered... also the drink tastes best when mixed up before drinking.
We loved the viewing party! The snacks were a big hit and of course the movie was great! Monsters U is perfect for the whole family… adults included!
It was great to escape, relax and just have fun as a family. I know this movie will be well watched throughout the years.