It’s 6 o’clock on Friday night and daddy is finally home!!! My kids know what this means… It’s “Family Dinner Night” time! We have family dinners every night of the week, but on Fridays we make it special. This past Friday we had a Hawaiian themed dinner and it was so fun! We put out flowers , got out the nice plates and ate Hawaiian Smoked Sausage with Strawberry Sweet n Sour Sauce!
These are the memories and moments we are making as a family. I hope my kids will always remember eating together and our special Friday dinners! It’s both a family bonding opportunity and a learning experience. The Hawaiian theme was such a hit and I know I will be making this recipe again!
I thought up this recipe while walking around Walmart! I spotted the new Johnsonville Butcher Shop Style Smoked Sausages and new I had to create something with them! I also picked up some Fruttare Strawberry Fruit & Juice Bars. I thought they would be a great base to a sweet n sour sauce.
Of course when I think about Hawaii I think of fresh! Fresh veggies and fresh fruits. When I was a kid my family took a vacation to Hawaii and I remember the Teriyaki chicken that the street vendors would sell. I decided that our Hawaiian inspired dinner it needed to be grilled.
I grilled all the veggies and pineapple along with the Johnsonville Butcher Shop Style Smoked Sausages. I wondered what our neighbors were thinking… the smell from the grill was so good! 🙂
The Strawberry Sweet n Sour dipping sauce was exactly what this dish needed! The sauce added just the right zing! I put everything on a bed of fried rice with green onions which made this a perfect Hawaiian inspired dish!
We served our sauce poured on top, but it can also be served on the side as a dipping sauce!
Hawaiian Smoked Sausage Medley with Strawberry Sweet n Sour Sauce (and Green Onion Fried Rice)
- 1 package Johnsonville Butcher Shop Smoked Sausage 4 count
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch peices
- 1 Green Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch peices
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch peices
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch peices If orange and yellow are not available then sub with red or green
- 1 Medium Onion cut into 1 inch peices
- 1 cup of pineapple cut into 1 inch peices
- Skewers or a grill pan for vegetables
- For the sauce:
- 4 Fruitare Strawberry Fruit n Juice bars
- 1 cup roasted red peppers pureed from a jar
- 1/4 cup pineapple pureed
- 1 Tbsp . Honey
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp . Garlic powder
- 1 tsp . onion powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp . Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp . salt
- For the Rice:
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- oil for stir frying
- 3 Tbsp . Soy Sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp . garlic powder
- the tops of 4 stalks of green onions chopped
- Grill the Johnsonville Butcher Shop Smoked Sausage according to package directions (12 to 14 minutes at medium/ high heat). At the same time grill the vegetables also on medium high heat for around 12 minutes. You can grill the veggies in a grill pan or on skewers. Once the meat and veggies are finished cooking put them on top of the fried rice (recipe below) and either pour on the Strawberry Sweet n Sour sauce or serve the sauce as a dipping sauce.
- For the sauce:
- Put all the ingredients except the cornstarch in a medium sized pot. Stir and cook on medium heat for around 5 minutes. Add cornstarch by making a slurry first with 1 Tbsp. warm water then add it to the sauce. Cook another 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. The sauce will thicken more once cooled down.
- For the Fried Rice:
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil on medium heat in a large skillet. Once the oil is hot add rice, garlic and green onions and cook for 3 minutes. Push rice off to one side and put two eggs in the skillet on the cleared side. Cook the eggs until they are a scrambled consistency then mix everything together. Add the soy sauce and mix well then turn off heat.
We loved our Hawaiian themed dinner and my kids were very happy that we had some Fruttare Strawberry Fruit & Juice bars left! It was a refreshing treat after a delicious meal!