This post contains affiliate links for the support of this blog. My quest to find healthy sprinkles ended up with me deciding that they didn’t exist! Cupcakes just seem lonely without them! I knew that I needed to figure out how to make healthy homemade sprinkles that would not tarnish my super healthy cupcakes and desserts!
After a few days of playing around with different ingredients I finally had a Sugar Free Sprinkles recipe that worked perfectly! Now I can have my cupcakes and sprinkles too!!!
The method is easy. Just mix up the ingredients and then pipe the mixture onto wax paper! I couldn’t believe all the beautiful rich colors that I was able to make with the India Tree Natural Food Colors (affiliate link)! These food colors are made from vegetables so they are healthy and safe! Go ahead and give your kids red sprinkles!!!! Yay! The one tip I have about getting the beautiful blue-green hue in the middle is to add baking soda to the mixture before putting the food color in. The reason is that the blue will turn to a gray color if the pH is off.
Hope you enjoy these sprinkles too!
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 scoop sugar free whey protein isolate powder vanilla
- 1/4 tsp . stevia
- 1/2 tsp . Glucomannan powder
- India Tree Food Colors or Natural Food Colors of choice, see suggestions below on how to mix
- In a small bowl whisk the egg white with the stevia and glucomannan. This mixture will be lumpy at first. Keep whisking. Add in the whey protein and food color of choice. Whisk until it becomes smooth. It should be the consistency of a thick batter. To make the blue color I used 1/2 tsp. of baking powder before adding in the food coloring. Otherwise you will get a gray color. All other colors should mix easily. To make brown I used 2 tsp. Cocoa powder and to make the off white I didn't add any color. You can make up to two colors per mixture by separating mixture. If you want more colors just make another batch. Each batch makes about 3 Tbsp. of sprinkles.
- Take one color of mixture and use a piping bag fitted with a #2 tip. Pipe mixture onto a piece of wax paper in long lines. Keep going until the mixture runs out then repeat the process for each color you want. Leave the lines to dry for 5 hours. Once they are dry peel them off the paper and break into small sprinkle sized pieces with your hands until they are all sprinkle sized. Now use them on top of your desserts like these cupcakes!
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
I used these sprinkles on this recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Whipped Frosting (it’s sugar free and low carb too)!