This delicious Caramelized Onion and Bacon Green Bean Casserole is a dish I prepared as a sponsored post. All opinions are my own. #ThisIsMyTwist
The holidays are upon us and Thanksgiving is just around the corner! Our family has already started planning everything as usual. My mom never misses a beat on planning the foods out and makes sure that we all get our favorites added into the menu. Nothing really compares to Green Bean Casserole on Thanksgiving for me. Thanksgiving wouldn’t seem right without it! We all seem to take turns making it every year and this year my mom wants me to be in charge of making it! I love the original recipe, but I also like to add my own twist to it too. I thought of the salty/ sweet taste of bacon and caramelized onions together and I wondered how they would taste added into the green bean casserole. I am so glad that I tried it because it really tastes amazing!
Typically caramelized onions take a long time to make, but I found a shortcut that cuts the time in half or more! From start to finish this dish is made in 30 minutes and it tastes like you spent all day on it! I stuck with the original recipe for the most part and just added my own twists into it. Of course I used these three base ingredients: Del Monte® Green Beans, Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup and French’s® Crispy Fried Onions. To that I added the caramelized onions and bacon! So yummy!!!
To make things easier I used the same skillet I made the caramelized onions in to cook the casserole. If you like your casserole in a fancy casserole dish you can always transfer the mixture into the dish before the last step of baking the last of the french fried onions on top. Of course I love my skillet and think it looks pretty superb! 😉
Everything is better with bacon… right? We certainly LOVED this easy twist on the classic we love!
Green Bean Casserole Skillet with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
- • 2 cans Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup 10.5 oz. each
- • 1 cup milk
- • 2 tsp. soy sauce
- • ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- • 4 cans any style Del Monte® Green Beans 14.5 oz. each, drained
- • 2 2/3 cups French’s® Crispy Fried Onions
- •1 onion thin sliced
- •dash of baking soda
- •1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- •1 2.5 oz. package of pre-cooked bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- ) Heat a large skillet on medium-low heat with vegetable oil. Add onions and the dash of baking soda to the skillet. Stir constantly for even cooking. Onions will caramelize in around 10 minutes thanks to the baking soda. Once they are a deep caramel brown color add the bacon and stir for 1 more minute to let the bacon crisp up.
- ) Next stir in soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 1-1/3 cups french fried onions into the skillet. Mix and stir it all together and let it cook on medium heat for around 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Make sure to stir the mixture every 2 to 3 minutes and turn down heat if it starts to stick to the bottom.
- ) Sprinkle with remaining french fried onions.
- ) Bake for 5 min. at 350 degrees F or until onions are golden brown.
Do you have any green bean casserole twists that you love? Be sure to visit This is My Twist for more fun ideas and recipes!
Next time you’re in Walmart, go look at the screens by the green bean casserole display at the end of the aisle. Walmart is picking the best of the ideas given people like you and me to show right there in the store! If you see mine, let me know with a post or a tweet! Make sure to go to thisismytwist.com to see everyone’s suggested twists!
I want to know what you think about Green Bean Casserole! If you take the 10 Minute Survey, you will be receiving a $5 Walmart gift card if you are one of the first 100 people that fully completes the survey (U.S. citizens only, must be 18 years or older to participate).