White Chicken Chili Cheese Dip is one of our favorite go-to dip recipes when we are having a get together. It’s a wonderful twist from the usual nacho cheese, and it always gets enthusiastic reviews.
Delicious white chicken chili is loaded with cheese and thickened up to make this yummy dip. If you love White Chicken Chili, then you’ll love this dip!
This dip is best served with thick corn tortilla chips that can hold a chunkier dip. I love to make this dip on the chunkier side so that it fills up the whole chip. Yum!
Tools you will need to make White Chicken Chili Cheese Dip:
- Cast Iron Skillet. My favorite cooking vessel to make this in is a cast iron skillet. Cast iron can go from the stovetop to the oven and it makes clean up a bit easier to only have one dish.
- If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can make this in any skillet that is also oven safe or you can use a casserole dish for the last step. I think the dip looks nice in the skillet, but NO ONE will care what you cook it in! They will only care about how fast they can get it into their mouths.
- Potato Masher or Large Spoon. One important step to making this dip is to make sure to mash the chicken and beans up into smaller pieces. I mention below that you can either use diced chicken or cook the chicken ahead of time and shred it. Shredding the chicken will make the dip easier to scoop up, but dicing the chicken will make a chunkier dip. It’s up to you with what you prefer. The potato masher or the back of a large spoon will help to mash some of the bigger pieces and beans down so they will be easier to scoop up.
Ingredients to Make White Chicken Chili Cheese Dip:
- Onion: White or Yellow.
- Oil: Any Vegetable.
- Chicken: Chicken breasts or tenderloins are the best for this dish.
- Navy beans or northern white beans: Drain your cans well before adding to the dish.
- Green chiles: Canned green chiles either mild or hot to preference.
- Corn: Use canned or frozen that is precooked. Drain it off well before adding.
- Cumin: Cumin offers a warm flavor with a hint of citrusy brightness that we associate with chili recipes.
- Cream cheese: I like to use the full fat variety for the creaminess.
- Cheese: I like to use a sharp cheddar cheese because I think it packs a lot of flavor without overwhelming the dish. Other cheeses you could try are Monterey Jack, Colby or a blend of Mexican Cheeses. All of those cheeses will taste really yummy in this dip.
What sets this dip apart from traditional white chicken chili is that it is much thicker and creamier. White chicken chili is very soup like and you don’t want that for a dip. When adding the cans of beans and other ingredients, it’s important to make sure that the water is fully drained before adding them into the skillet.
The chicken in this dish can be made ahead of time and shredded or diced and cooked with the onions as you are making the dish. I created this recipe to include both ways so that you can choose your favorite. I personally don’t like to take the extra step of shredding the chicken up. Plus, as I said earlier, I love chunky dips and with diced chicken it is definitely chunky!
White chicken chili cheese dip gets a lot of the flavor from the cumin and green chilis called for in the recipe. That’s really what sets white chicken chili apart from beef chili in looks and flavor. Instead of red chili powder the green chilis add all the chili flavor it needs.
I guess green chicken chili didn’t sound as appealing. haha Plus, the dish is technically white from the cream cheese.
As much as I love eating this as a dip; I don’t think anyone would blame me if I just scooped it out and ate it in a bowl. Another way of serving it is to make nachos. Just pour the mix on top of the chips before adding the cheese and then sprinkle the cheese on and bake. That would make some yummy nachos for sure. In fact, I think I will try it that way next time I make it.
The hardest part is waiting for the guests to arrive if we are making this for a crowd. It always smells so good and of course tastes great right out of the oven. If we are having several guests we make sure to have a double or triple batch because it will run out quickly.
Here are some more dips to try out:
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, can also use olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 pound raw chicken, diced, or use cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 can navy beans or northern white beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 4 oz. can of green chiles, drained well
- 1 15 oz. can of corn, drained well
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet on medium heat add oil and onions to the pan. Cook onions until they are sweating. Add the diced chicken or if you are using shredded chicken add it now. Cook the chicken thoroughly.
- Pour the green chiles, beans, corn,cumin and cream cheese into a large skillet and cook on low heat on the stovetop for around 10 minutes or until everything is mixed well together and creamy. At this point take the back of a spoon or a masher and mashed the beans and chicken up a little to thicken up the dip. I like my dip chunky, but you can mash even more for a creamier dip.
- Next, Pour the cheddar cheese on top and place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown at the edges. Serve immediately. Serving suggestions: place cut up bell peppers or your favorite peppers on top and serve with tortilla chips. This dip is best served hot!
Serving Size1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 642Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 140mgSodium 327mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 7gSugar 6gProtein 34g
#mv-trellis-comments > div > div:nth-child(4) > div:nth-child(2)