You may remember last week when I talked about Champion for Kids Jennie-O Make the Switch Challenge and how I had given up buying chips for the month of May. The whole challenge is about giving up something that is not really healthy and switching it for something healthier. Then you can use the money you save to donate to kids in need.
This week, since I am well into this challenge, I decided to make my own chips! It is much healthier and saves money! I was on a quest to figure out how to make Sour Cream and Onion flavored Veggie Chips and I think I got pretty close. It isn’t exact, but I think it is good!
I took regular potatoes, sweet potatoes and zuchinni and sliced them thinly with my new mandoline from Wal-Mart (only $10.00)!
I then created my own recipe for Sour Cream and Onion seasoning. This was the hard part, but I found powdered buttermilk which tastes an awful lot like powdered sour cream! I also added some Parmesan to round out the flavor.
I put the sliced potatoes onto a microwave safe dish covered with parchment paper. When it came time to cook them, I put the flavoring into a small mesh strainer because the mixture tends to clump up… Then I just sprinkled the chips while scraping my spoon across the strainer. Then I just zapped em in the microwave for about 5 minutes and they came out crispy and a yummy sour cream and onion flavor! Something I am now told that I will have to make often. 😉
These are so good… It’s a good thing they are good for you! Just the sweet potatoes alone have more than enough Vitamin A for the day!
I garnished these with some chives and I think they are even more delicious than a bag of the fried kind!
- 1 potato- thinly sliced
- 1 Sweet Potato- thinly sliced
- 1 Zucchini thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup powdered buttermilk, can be found by the evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp . kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp . Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp . Onion Powder
- Fresh Chopped Chives for garnish *optional
- Spritz of oil *optional, I use a Misto Oil sprayer for this
- Mix the powdered buttermilk, kosher salt, Onion Powder, and Parmesan together in a medium sized bowl. Place vegetables (one kind at a time) onto a parchment lined microwave safe plate and spray with oil (by using a Misto or the like). Sprinkle seasonings over vegetables (I used a mesh strainer for this). Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until the veggies have started to brown. Wait until they brown a little or they will not crisp up, but be careful not to over- brown or burn. Repeat with each vegetable until all have been cooked. These can be eaten right away or stored for a day in an air tight container.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Come back this weekend when I will show you what I am doing with the money that I have saved!