Growing up, if there was one thing we could count on my mom making for her annual Christmas party, it was Chex Mix. She always made it homemade and we loved to snack on it all night. I definitely think of those Christmas parties when I’m eating Chex mix or really any snack mix.
Snack Mix Ornaments are a festive and easy Christmas gift idea to everyone on your Christmas list.
I remember, back in the day, they would put Chex Mix seasoning packets inside the Chex cereal boxes at Christmastime. Does this date me? Do they still do that? I still think the original Chex Mix that you bake is the best tasting, but you could easily make these gifts without having to bake anything at all.
There are so many varieties of Snack Mixes that are pre-made and sold at grocery stores now. I used some Chex muddy buddies I found at the store and added some other Christmas colored treats to include for one of the recipes. Just scroll down to the bottom of the post to get that recipe. I also have included some FREE printable gift tags that are super cute for gift giving.
Just sign up below to get your free gift tags!
Snack mix never looked more festive than this! You can most likely hang these on the tree, but just be careful because they are heavy once made. You’ll need an extra sturdy wire to hang them. My favorite way to gift these is either by themselves with the gift tags or as a part of a larger gift basket/box with other goodies.
If you have ever received a Christmas goodies bag or box then you know how loved it can make you feel. Whenever we get a box of cookies, or even just a sweet card from a friend, it just makes the holidays even brighter. Simple gifts like these are always a welcome treat in our home.
What is your favorite snack mix recipe? You can use just about any snack mix recipe in these or use the easy recipe I’ve included at the bottom of the post.
Here are my tips and suggestions when choosing a recipe or store bought snack mix.
- Make sure the snack mix you are using is a dry mix. You won’t want anything too sticky or greasy to go inside of these ornaments. You want snack mixes that can freely move around in the ornament without getting a gooey mess on the plastic.
- Make it Christmas themed with red and green. You can pretty much take any sweet flavored snack mix and use red and green sprinkles or candies inside. You can see that I used red and green m&m’s inside the sweet flavored snack mix ornaments.
- Snack mixes with pieces around one inch in size or less are the best. Much bigger than that and they won’t fit as uniformly inside and could possibly take up too much space.
Tools and supplies to use for Snack Mix Ornaments:
- The clear ornament balls that open in half can be found at most craft stores and come in a variety of sizes. You will want to use an ornament at least 3 inches and up to 4 1/2 inches in size. This size will hold around 1-2 servings (they hold a lot more than you would think!) Get the clear ornaments online (affiliate).
- You will also need some clear tape to secure the edges of the ornament. For some reason all the clear ornaments that open in half open up on their own! You do not want that to happen and so tape will be needed to secure it. I suggest a glossy tape to match the finish of the ornament and so it won’t be easily seen.
- Tie a ribbon at the top inside the hole. To give your ornament a finished look tie a ribbon at the top. I used a thicker curling ribbon for these, but any Christmas ribbon should work. I’ve also used wire ribbon before which looks great too. Just make sure that you leave some room for a thick wire if you want to hang these on a tree. They will need something thick or a thick string to hang them since they are heavy.
Snack mix ornaments are perfect for co-workers, teacher’s gifts, classmate gifts and pretty much any of your friends and family. They will love that they are not just a food, but also a fun container too! Be sure to grab your free printable gift tags that I included above! Just tell your recipient to open up the ornament over a bowl so that the contents come out without a big mess.
I hope you enjoy this easy Christmas gift idea!
Follow me on social media or sign up for emails, so you never miss a post!
If you LOVE this Snack Mix Ornament Gift Idea please leave us a five star review below. If you make this please share it on Instagram and tag me #sprinklesomefun so I can see it!
Christmas Snack Mix for Snack Mix Ornaments
- 1 bag Chex cereal Muddy Buddies (any flavor) you can also use your own homemade version
- 1 bag white chocolate covered pretzels
- 1 bag Christmas colored peanut or regular m&m's
- 1 container mallow bits (optional)
- red and green Christmas sprinkles (optional)
- 6-8 3-4 inch clear plastic ornaments use tape to secure
- Add and stir together all the food ingredients in a large bowl. Make sure that the snack mix is well mixed before placing it in the ornaments.
- Carefully add the snack mix into your ornaments on both sides and carefully snap the ornament together. Do this over the bowl in case any pieces fall out. You may need a couple of tries for this, but if you start slowly from the bottom and gently lift the two sides together it should work. Once your sides are put together then secure with the tape and a ribbon if you want.