Hashbrowns are a major comfort food for me. I like them in many ways, but one way that I really love them is in casseroles. I’ve been having a lot of cravings lately (yes, I am pregnant) and Hashbrown Casserole has been on my cravings list this week! I usually go for a good breakfast type Hashbrown casserole, but I decided to change it up a bit this time. I decided to combine some of my favorite Mexican spices with LOTS of cheese and yummy Hash Browns! This Mexican Hashbrown Casserole is crazy good!!!
Did I mention that it is also a “crowd pleaser”? Even my pickiest eater scarfed it down!
I loved the hashbrowns in this! They were a perfect starch for all the meaty, cheesy and tex-mex goodness! For this casserole I used a 1 pound bag of Ore Ida Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes that I found at Walmart. When I went to grab the bag I noticed on the Ore Ida package that they had a giveaway! You can enter the Ore-Ida Family Holiday Giveaway below for a chance to win one of thousands of valuable prizes at the Ore Ida Website Here! I also found out that participating Walmart’s will have an in store demo on November 30th and December 1st!
I didn’t realize when I was planning out the recipe that it would make so much. There was plenty of casserole to feed 4 adults and 3 kids with leftovers! My husband said it tasted just as good as leftovers the next day… now THAT is saying something!
What is your favorite Hashbrown Casserole?
- 1 pound bag of Frozen Ore Ida Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 15 oz . can tomato sauce
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 3 cups of Mexican 4 cheese blend of finely shredded cheese, or just cheddar cheese
- 1 8 oz . package of cream cheese brought to room temperature
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp . butter
- Mexican Spice Blend Mix:
- 1/2 tsp . powdered garlic
- 1/2 tsp . ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp . ground coriander seed
- 3 tsp . chili powder
- 1 tsp . smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- Topping suggestions:
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped green onions
- sliced black olives
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large skillet melt butter and add chopped onions. Saute until they are translucent. Add ground beef and cook until meat is browned. Drain off any excess fat. Bring meat/ onion mixture back to the skillet and set on medium low heat. Add Mexican Spice Blend and tomato sauce and cook for 2 minutes or until warm. Add cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese. Cook until cream cheese and shredded cheese is just melted. Turn off heat and add Hash Browns. Completely mix everything together and transport to a casserole dish that has been sprayed with a little cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until the casserole is browned on edges. Add the other 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese to the top of the casserole and bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Serve while hot and top with toppings! Enjoy!
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Be sure to check out the Twitter party for Ore Ida Hash Browns on November 27th, 2014 at 11am! Just RSVP at this link!