Chocolate Orange Cupcake Duo!
It’s not everyday that I get to visit my family that lives 2 hours away. My dad is retiring from the job he has had since before I was born so we headed down to see them this week! The girls really love visiting Grandma and Grandpa’s house and we always have a great time. I wanted to make something special for us to celebrate our time together and the up-coming holiday. I came up with the idea of making chocolate and orange flavored cupcakes which are naturally Halloween- esque on their own!
This cupcake pair is just amazing! There are not many duos I like as much as chocolate and orange! Want to know the best part? They are SO simple, but they taste like I bought them from a fancy cupcake bakery!
The first secret to these cupcakes is the Frosting. I have been wanting to try the new Cool Whip Frosting and I thought that this would be the perfect time. I think that the store bought cakes with the whipped icing is okay and the buttercream frosting is always so sickeningly sweet to me. The Cool Whip Frosting is the best of both worlds! I found mine right by the Cool Whip topping in the freezer isle at Walmart. You can see the rest of my shopping trip on Google Plus.
The Cool Whip Frosting has real butter and milk! The chocolate flavor has real dutched cocoa! Oh, it is SO good! For the orange flavored frosting I used the Vanilla Cool Whip frosting mixed with a little orange extract and orange food coloring.
The next secret is the cookie bottom. By using a European Chocolate Orange “Biscuit” cookie I was able to get a nice cookie bottom that went perfectly with the cake part. It was almost as if this cookie was made just for this dessert. They fit nicely in the bottom of the cupcake liners and when they were done they popped out easily too! The finished cupcakes were actually easier to eat than normal cupcakes because the cookie bottom helped to keep it all together! The cupcakes actually took less time in the oven since there was less batter to bake up!
So, how did they taste? I’ll let these pics I took of family and friends do the talking!
My nephew was the first to announce, “I want a pupcake!”. So cute! He ended up just eating the frosting off the top… it was THAT good!
These girls really enjoyed the frosting!
Of course I have to add my own kids here too… they LOVED the chocolate flavored Cool Whip Frosting.
Chocolate Orange Cupcake Duo with #Cool Whip Frosting
- 1 box Orange Cake Mix with ingredients from back of box
- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix with ingredients from back of box
- 1 Bar of Chocolate with Orange like Lindt Intense Dark Chocolate Orange chopped into small sprinkle sized pieces
- 1 Orange sliced into small crescent shaped pieces for garnish
- 2 Cool Whip Frosting tubs in Vanilla and Chocolate
- 24 Chocolate Orange Cookies like Pim's found mine at Walmart
- 2 tsp . Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp . Orange Extract
- a few drops of orange food coloring
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners and place 1 chocolate orange cookie inside each liner on the bottom. Prepare cake batters seperately as each box suggests in separate bowls. To the chocolate cake mix add 3 Tbsp. of cocoa and 1 tsp. vanilla. To the orange cake mix add 1 tsp. vanilla. Pour cake batter on top of the cookie until the liner is 2/3 of the way full. You will have enough batter to make 48 cupcakes in all, but this recipe only calls for 24 to be made. Use the leftover batter for more cupcakes or as a small cake. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes completely. Meanwhile mix in the orange extract and food coloring into the Vanilla Cool Whip Frosting tub. Ice cupcakes with the frostings in the opposite flavors of the cake for more contrast. sprinkle with the chocolate orange sprinkles for the chocolate frosting and an orange slice for the orange frosting. Enjoy!
The Cool Whip Frosting is so easy to work with. As you can see from the photos, it frosted these cuppies like a dream!
To see more yummy Cool Whip Frosting Recipe Ideas visit the Kraft Cool Whip Frosting Pinterest Board!