Aren’t these adorable? These Campfire Mini Cakes were the perfect treat for my little girls to help me make while we were camping! The best part is that other than the initial prep of the “fire candy” I didn’t have to cook anything! Everyone in the family loved them and they all wanted the recipe for the “fire candy”. These would be perfect not only for camping, but also a celebration for the outdoor lover or scouts!
What you will need:
30 pieces of butterscotch candy
30 pieces of cinnamon candy
1 box of chocolate covered cakes like “Hostess Ding Dongs”
1 can of chocolate frosting
1 bag of small pretzel sticks (not the rods)
First step is to break up the candy! We found that doing this in a plastic bag with a mallet was pretty good.
Next bake the candy to meld it together…
It really does look like fire at this point. Since we would assemble these while we were camping I decided to break them up into “chards” that would be used for the “fire” and store them in a plastic bag.
These next steps were all done at the camp site! We placed all the cakes in a pan and topped them with a layer of chocolate icing.
Then the assembly was easy. We started with the “fire candy”…
Then we placed broken pieces of pretzel sticks around the fire candy.
The girls LOVED this! They turned out so cute!!! We all agreed that the best part was the candy. I am now told that I have to make this candy for every occasion! The sweet, buttery, salty and spicy combination was SO good!
- 30 pieces of hard butterscotch candy disks
- 30 pieces of hard cinnamon candy disks
- 1 box of chocolate covered cakes like "Hostess Ding Dongs"
- 1 can of chocolate frosting
- 1 bag of small pretzel sticks, not the rods
- You must have an oven for the first part of this... so prepping ahead of time is essential! Line a baking pan with foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place cinnamon and butterscotch hard candies in a gallon sized freezer Ziploc bag. Finely crush candies with flat side of mallet or hammer. Pour crushed candies on the pan; spread in thin layer. Bake at 350°F. for about 6 to 8 minutes or until candies are completely melted. Cool candies completely before handling and break into 1/2 to 1 inch chards for the "fire" look.
- To assemble: Open all the cakes and place in a 9x13 baking pan or foil pan (or just place on serving platter). Spread a thin layer of frosting on top of the cakes. Place "fire candy" in the middle of the cakes to look like a fire. Break pretzel sticks into smaller pieces to go around the fire candy to look like wood for the fire. Enjoy!
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g