There has been an image floating around Pinterest for a couple of years now. Perhaps you have seen in too. It’s of cute Bunny Rolls and I instantly fell in love! The only problem is that it shows someone cutting the tops of the rolls to make the cute bunny ears. The result has been pretty awful looking bunny rolls for most people that try it that way. I have good news though… I figured out a way to make these cute bunny rolls and they are really easy! It does take a bit more patience than just a regular roll, but these turn out so cute! Such a perfect Easter recipe.
These really turned out so much better than I expected!!! I used the same recipe I used for Snail Rolls which I also love!
I am pretty sure you can use any yeast roll recipe you want, but this is the one I used.
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann's® RapidRise™ Yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- ½ Tsp . Spice Islands® Ground Cinnamon
- 1-1/3 cups water
- ¼ cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 skewer
- 1/4 cup egg whites to stick on the ears and tail
- Combine bread flour, brown sugar, undissolved yeast, salt and cinnamon in a large mixer bowl. Heat water, corn syrup and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F). Add liquids to flour mixture and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Cut dough into 16 equal parts. Roll 12 of them into oval balls and set aside. Take 2 of the unused sections and make 12 small balls for tails and then take the other 2 sections and make them into 24 ears. To make the ears you will need to flatten them out into ear shapes that are around 1 inch long. Press a skewer into the middle to mark the spot you will cut and with kitchen shears cut the ear to about 1 cm from the top. When you are ready to stick them on the roll then wet the edge you want to stick with a little egg white and press down slightly to help it stick on. Do the same for the tail on the back of the roll. Lastly take your skewer and make two indentions into the front of the roll for the eyes. You may need to repeat this after the rolls are done cooking to make the eyes even more apparent.
- Place rolls in oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Brush with butter if desired.
- To make muffin pan rolls: Cut dough into 12 to 16 equal pieces depending on desired size of rolls. Place balls in greased muffin cups of standard (2-1/2 inch) muffin pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place rolls in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush baked rolls with melted butter, if desired. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- TIP: Use these rolls to make tasty mini sandwiches or serve as hearty dinner rolls.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Won’t everyone just LOVE these? So easy and super cute!