I received a free sample of Gerber® Soothe probiotic colic drops from Gerber®. My thoughts and opinions are my own.
Our first baby was a “textbook baby” and even slept through the night at 2 weeks old. She hardly ever cried out of the blue and she really wasn’t all that needy. We didn’t realize how great we had it with her until we had our second baby girl. Although we were super excted to have another baby, our second born started to show signs of colic around the 2 month mark. It started with crying every night around 6 pm and she didn’t stopped until 3 am every single night. She did this every night like clockwork. The Dr. diagnosed her with baby colic. Those months were very tough for all of us. Her crying was consistently better over time until she was around 9 months old when she grew out of it. Now that we have had 5 babies in all… we have learned different ways to help soothe our colicky babies. These 5 Ways to Help Babies with Colic are some of many ideas that have helped our little ones.
- As best as possible we try to keep the house dark and quiet. Our little ones have always started their crying in the evening hours. Even if the crying doesn’t stop… keeping lights and noise to a minimum helps us to calm ourselves which helps our little ones.
- Gentle massaging of tummy and back. This always helped our littles! Again, with colic the crying may not stop right away, but we could tell this technique helped.
- Bouncing, swinging and rocking. For whatever reason… bouncing and rocking really helped to keep the crying at a minimum. Sometimes we would even get a break in crying!
- Shushing noises or singing a lullaby. We always noticed our babies getting quieter once we started singing or gentle shushing them.
- GERBER® Good Start® Soothe powder formula and GERBER® Soothe Drops. This is one that wasn’t available to us when we were in the throws of colic with our second born, but we recently got to try it out with our 5th baby. I believe that his digestive issues are getting better since starting the Gerber Soothe probiotic drops. One of the potential causes of colic may be not having enough good bacteria in the digestive system. Gerber Soothe Colic drops is a probiotic supplement for breastfed babies or partially breastfed experiencing excessive crying, colic and fussiness. I wish I had had these drop when my second daughter was going through her colic. I would have done anything to help her at that time! Her constant crying made me so sad for her.
These drops are so easy to use and my baby doesn’t mind taking it at all.
Gerber® Soothe Colic Drops are ideal for breastfed babies and Gerber® Good Start® Soothe Infant Formula is ideal for fed formula babies. Colic is usually when a healthy baby cries for more than 3 hours a day, at least 3 days a week, for over 3 weeks. It usually starts in the first few weeks of life. Babies may experience increased crying in the evening and at night. Research indicates that the type of bacteria in the infant’s digestive system may determine whether a child is colicky. This suggests a role for probiotics to help support a balance of good bacteria in the digestive tract of colicky infants. In particular, the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri has been clinically shown in multiple studies to reducing crying time in colicky infants.
Comforting probiotics are a great way to improve the good bacteria in baby’s digestive system, which helps promote digestive comfort. GERBER Soothe products (drops and powder formula) contain L. reuteri, a comforting probiotic that is safe for infants and similar to those found in breastmilk. The GERBER promise is less crying means, more smiling for all! I am so glad that there are finally more options for parents of babies that are going through the difficult time with colic. Do you have any experience with colic or any suggestions to add? Learn more about colic, excessive crying and fussiness, and Gerber Soothe products by visiting the NEW Gerber Soothe web page.
Gerber has different experts available (Registered Dietitians, Certified Lactation Consultant and Certified Baby Sleep Consultant) to answer any questions. Gerber.com/experts or at 1-800-203-4565.
*These products are not intended to treat or cure any disease.*