Edible cookie dough is also perfect for chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream or any raw cookie dough dessert. I’ve included useful affiliate links which also support the maintenance of this site.
Lately I have been eyeing all the wonderful cookie dough recipes going around and I’ve been wanting to make my own to try. Oh how I LOVE cookie dough! Making a recipe to eat just as cookie dough is great because you can control what goes into the recipe and make it safer to eat. Who hasn’t snuck in a bite of cookie dough when baking cookies? I know I do every time! Now I can eat as much as I want without the risks that usually come from eating raw cookie dough.
The risks associated with most cookie dough recipes is the raw eggs and the raw flour. I really had never thought to worry about raw flour before, but there have been recent outbreaks of E Coli that were found to be in the flour of raw cookie dough (not the eggs). It may be overly cautious to worry about the flour in cookie dough, but I’ve had one too many stomach aches to totally discount it.
This recipe for Edible Cookie Dough has been made with heat treated flour to reduce the chances of getting sick. There are also no raw eggs involved either!
When I first made this post back in 2012 there were no options other than buying HUGE bags of heat treated flour to make cookie dough with. In 2018, the nice folks at Honeyville informed me that they had a heat treated flour that they are selling on Amazon and on their website. They sent me a bag to try and it’s great for this recipe! I am so excited about this product because it opens up so many possibilities with edible cookie dough.
Buy the Heat Treated Flour here (Amazon affiliate link).
I am no longer suggesting the microwave method for heat treated flour since we now have the option to buy it. If you want to try the microwave method then I say go ahead and try it. Microwaving flour “probably” works because the flour gets real hot inside the microwave. It should at least reduce the risk a little.
I microwave my flour on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds for heat treating. I also stirred the flour after each 15 second interval. The stirring is important to make sure that it all heats evenly.
I always check the temperature to make sure that it got hot enough to kill the germs. I read somewhere that most bugs will be killed at temps above 160 so I made sure to reach that and then some! You can also reach this temperature by roasting the flour in the oven at 200 degrees F for around 10 minutes, but I tried this method and didn’t like the taste as much.
Don’t just take my word for it though; do your own research.
Best Tips for making Edible Cookie Dough for Eating:
- Use Heat Treated Flour. You can use my microwaved method to make it or my new suggestion of buying the heat treated flour. I do believe that using the heat treated flour is the best option.
- Use Pasteurized Eggs or No Eggs. My recipe does not use eggs at all. If you feel you must have raw eggs then I suggest using pasteurized eggs. We can’t ever find them as whole pasteurized eggs here, but the cartons of egg whites would work in a pinch.
- Use colorful chocolate chips &/or sprinkles. Make your cookie dough even better by adding add ins like sprinkles and fun colored chocolate chips. I used these candy coated chocolate chips here (Affiliate) If you are going to eat this as cookie dough then why not go all out?
- Refrigerate when not eating and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This recipe uses milk and butter which will spoil if left out. Just make sure that it stays cold when not using.
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is SO good and very rich just like my favorite cookie recipe. We nibbled on it for the last few days and it seemed to last forever compared to other desserts. You could always freeze any leftovers (up to 4 months if wrapped well) and thaw it out whenever you want to eat it. I also love to use it in other cookie dough recipes like ice cream and truffles!
Check out the yummy recipe I made with this cookie dough linked below.
- 1 cup Heat Treated Flour or microwaved flour, making sure that the temp gets to at least 160
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1/4 tsp salt mixed with 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar, or 1/2 cup powdered sugar for less graininess
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream butter and sugars. Slowly add flour, salt/ milk mixture, and vanilla until thoroughly mixed then add chocolate chips. Refrigerate for a couple of hours or eat right away!
Find the heat treated flour here!
This recipe was created strictly for eating while it is still dough. I cannot attest to how it will actually bake since there are no eggs in it (I suggest adding an egg if you want to bake it).
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Disclaimer: I am not a scientist and I have no proof that microwaving will kill all bacteria in the flour. Please use this method with caution. I personally trust that it will, but eat at your own risk! I suggest using the heat treated flour I mentioned above for eating raw cookie dough.
Want to know how to use Edible Cookie Dough? I wouldn’t use this for baking cookies, but it is perfect for Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars! Yum!