Dip Mix Ornaments are such a fun and unique edible Christmas gift idea! These mixes are easy for the recipient to make with just a couple of ingredients. Make them for everyone on your Christmas list this year!
This post contains affiliate links.
I love giving unique and unexpected gifts at Christmastime. Last year I showed you how to make Hot Cocoa Mix Ornaments and everyone loved them. This year I thought of these Dip Mix Ornaments! I think these are perfect to box up and give to someone at Christmas!
Tips for making Dip Mix Ornaments:
- Where to find ornaments for filling. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby in 2013 and they are craft ornaments. They were glass and the lid had a hole in it. Now Hobby Lobby has plastic screw top lid ornaments that are perfect for this gift idea! See the picture below of what they look like. I have an alternative if you don’t have a Hobby Lobby, but they have regular lids and you’ll need to put a piece of foil or plastic to cover the hole.
- My suggestions for ornaments if you can’t get them from Hobby Lobby. I suggest trying these non-breakable fillable ornaments here: (Amazon affiliate link) These ornaments are bigger than the ones I used so make MORE dip mix to put in the containers if you want them filled to the top. These are significantly bigger (around twice as big) and I just want to stress that before you buy them!
- Use a funnel to fill each ornament. This is an important step because the tops of the ornaments are very small. If you don’t have a funnel use a piece of paper rolled into a cone shape and use that as your funnel.
- Use Watkins Spices or McCormick. Many of the questions I get asked about dip mix ornaments has to do with the spices I used for my own ornaments. Different spice/herb companies will have a different grind sizes. Dried herbs like parsley may have bigger particles or smaller particles which will affect how much you are able to put into each ornament. I like that I can order larger sized tins of Watkins spices when I am making the dip mix ornaments in bulk.
These dip mix ornaments are ready to be boxed up for a someone special!
I like wrapping them up in a little box or basket that is lined with tissue paper. Dip Mix Ornaments should definitely be on the list for any foodie in your life. All that you need to add is a gift tag with the instructions on how to make them. You can do this on your own or print out the FREE pdf I have included for my subscribers.
The pic above shows an example of the printable for the dip mix ornaments. The actual printable is not gray this is just the example of what you will get. Just print the gift tags out on card stock (preferably) and punch a hole through the top in the middle of the wreath. Put a piece of string or ribbon through the hole and tie onto each ornament. Get your FREE printable and join our community.
If you like these Dip Mix Ornaments, check out these other edible ornament ideas:
The Hot Cocoa Ornaments were the original edible ornament idea and they are great for kids and adults alike. Click the link above to find out all the suggestions on making them for your friends and family.
My friends and family raved about these dip mix ornaments when I handed them out and they loved the dips made with them. These are perfect to hand out in the office, as a hostess gift or as a parting gift for a Christmas party.
If you love this recipe and creative ornament idea please give us 5 stars below!
Dip Mix Recipes for Ornaments
Fiesta Dip Mix Spices: (put in ornament)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- 3/4 tsp dried chives
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
Additional Ingredients for Fiesta Dip:
- 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- In a medium bowl combine the ingredients and whisk together. Refrigerate 2 - 4 hours before serving.
Italian Dip Mix: (put in ornament)
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
Additional Ingredients for Italian Dip:
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (use the kind in a shaker)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Combine the above ingredients with a hand-mixer until well-blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with veggies crackers or chips.
Bacon Dip Mix Spices: (put in the ornament)
- 1 tbsp bacon bits use imitation unless storing in fridge
- 1/2 tsp beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1/8 tsp dried minced garlic
Additional Ingredients for Bacon Dip:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Combine the above ingredients with a hand-mixer until well-blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with veggies crackers and chips.
Dill Dip Mix Spices: (put in ornament)
- 1 tsp dill weed
- ¼ tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp onion flakes
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
Additional Ingredients for Dill Dip Mix
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip®
- Mix everything in a small bowl. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. This makes an excellent vegetable dip as well as one for chips.
- Ranch herb dip and dressing mix
Ranch Dip Mix Spices: (put in ornament)
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Additional Ingredients for Ranch Dip:
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp . lemon juice
- Herb Mix Dip: mix with 1 ½ cups sour cream 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Blend well. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Serve with assorted fresh vegetables.
Directions for each different spice ornament mixture:
Mix spices and fill ornaments with mixture using a funnel. If you are using bigger ornaments than the ones pictured (these are around 2 inches in height and 1 inch diameter) then you will need to make even more spice mix for each ornament to fill them up. The amount needed will vary depending on the ornaments you use. If using the 4 inch ornaments I placed a link to... I would triple the spices for each. The gift tags include exact measurements for making the dips so just make as much needed to fill the ornaments and include the gift tag.
Before closing the ornament wrap a small piece of foil at the opening and then put the ornament top back on. The metal wires will puncture through the foil, but should not leave a big hole to where the spices will come through. Shake each ornament a little to see if your foil has a hole... if the contents remain then you are good... if not then repeat the foil process.
Place a card with each ornament with the directions on how to make each dip. I have printable directions in cute gift tag form for your convenience!