When my husband and I got married I was surprised that he told me his favorite cake was carrot cake. I really thought that he would tell me that he loved chocolate, but then I found out that he grew up with his mom’s carrot cake. I happened to be craving cinnamon rolls the other day, thus, the carrot cake cinnamon roll recipe was born. I really like the little bit of kick that the carrots, ginger and nutmeg give to these cinnamon rolls! To make things a little easier I used Rhodes dinner rolls for the dough, but you can also use your favorite cinnamon roll dough recipe if you like. These made my carrot cake loving hubby happy and totally satisfied my cinnamon roll craving, too!
I couldn’t resist making these cute little carrot roses made our of carrot shavings. I just used a vegetable peeler to shred a couple of long pieces of carrot and then rolled them up together. This lets your guests know that they are getting a carrot cake surprise inside!
- 12 Rhodes dinner roll dough thawed
- 2 Tbsp . cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp . butter melted
- 1 tsp . ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp . fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots that have been blotted with a towel to get off excess moisture
- Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 oz . cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 can of vanilla icing
- Carrot Rose decoration:
- long thin strips of carrot rolled up, I used a vegetable peeler for this
- Combine the 12 dinner rolls together and knead a couple of times to combine. Roll out dough into a 9X13 rectangle on a plastic rolling mat that's been sprayed with oil. Let this set for 15 minutes covered with plastic wrap. Uncover and brush the top of the dough with the melted butter. Mix the cinnamon, carrots, ginger, nutmeg, sugar together and spread the mixture on top of the dough evenly. Sprinkle on the nuts on top evenly. Cut into 8 long strips for extra large cinnamon rolls or 12 smaller strips for small cinnamon rolls. Roll each strip up and place the cinnamon rolls evenly spaced into a 9x13 inch pan that's been sprayed with oil. Let this rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for around 20 minutes or until the cinnamon rolls are looking browned on top. Let them cool before icing for a more decorative look or ice immediately to make the icing melted on top.
- For the icing just combine the ingredients and mix on high until light and fluffy.
- Ice the cinnamon rolls and place a carrot rose on top if desired.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
These turned out so pretty and are so delicious! The cream cheese icing on top was so perfect and gave it that authentic carrot cake taste!