This post contains affiliate links.
I am always on the lookout for unique and easy DIY Holiday Decor ideas. This year I wanted to make something that I could display every year. I made this DIY Illuminated Canvas using Sharpies, Christmas lights and a 16X20 white canvas! I think it turned out gorgeous!
To make your own:
First up…gather all your supplies!
What you will need:
- Sharpie permanent markers in the colors of your choice for the letters; Silver Metallic Sharpie marker for the snowflakes (affiliates)
- 16×20 white canvas (affiliate)
- hot glue gun and glue sticks which are optional (affiliates)…see below
- string of 100 clear mini Christmas lights with white wire/strand
- stencil letters (affiliate); I made mine using a craft cutter, but you can buy them also
- metal skewer or ice pick (affiliates)
I love using Sharpies for DIY projects because you can do so much with them. I cannot imagine trying to make intricate lines like I did on this canvas without them!
I used a stencil to make my letters and traced the stencil lightly with a pencil and then traced and filled everything in with a red permanent marker.
I used the Silver Metallic Sharpie to make the snowflakes all over the canvas. I first made dots where I wanted my lights to go and then made the lines for the snowflakes. I made sure to make 100 snowflakes since that was how many lights there were on my strand.
Next I poked holes through the canvas with a sharp skewer. You can use a skewer, an ice pick or something similar. Don’t make the hole too big or the lights won’t stay in place.
Next poke the lights through the holes. I ended up using a little hot glue just around the plastic part of each light to hold them in place. That’s it! It really is that easy!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Illuminated Canvas!!! My sister loved it so much that I let her have this one… so I guess I will need to make another one for myself soon!