I was asked to make a bride’s cake and a groom’s cake for a wedding reception recently. I wanted to make something simple, but elegant. I’ve only taken one course on cake decorating so I knew that the decorations needed to be quick and easy. For the groom’s cake I knew just what to do…. make a Kit Kat Cake! I made a Chocolate Strawberry Kit Kat Cake for my uncle’s wedding and knew how easy it was to put together. This time, instead of strawberries, I used Oreos! I also made this cake double layered so I used large Kit Kats and Malt Balls to make up for the difference in height.
Isn’t it gorgeous? Who knew that a chocolate candies and cookies were so pretty on a cake? The best part was the reaction the cake received. Everyone loved it and there were no leftovers! This cake would be perfect for any occasion! Most people LOVE chocolate, cookies and candy… so you can’t go wrong!
Oreos and Kit Kat Cake!
- A double layered cake that is iced with chocolate decorators icing.
- several King size Kit Kats you will need more or less depending on the circumference of your cake. I used around 10 for a 14 in cake
- 1 Box Malt Balls
- 1 Box Chocolate stuffed Oreos
- To decorate you will place the malt balls around the bottom edge on the sides first. Then place the Kit Kats on top of that (Not all Cakes bake the same height so you may not end up needing the malt balls for height)
- Next... use some chocolate decorators icing to make small swirls on the top of the cake where the Oreo's will go. I used a large star tip for this. I started my swirls with one swirl in the middle and added more swirls in a circle around the middle swirl. Then just repeat until you work yourself to the edge. If you are using a smaller cake size you will not need as many Oreo's and swirls. Place an Oreo on top of each swirl.